The American Association of Orthodontists recommends a check-up with an orthodontic specialist no later than age 7.
• Orthodontists can spot problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth while baby teeth are still present.
• While your child’s teeth may appear to be straight, there could be a problem that only an orthodontist can detect.
• The check-up may reveal that your child’s bite is fine. The orthodontist can also identify any problems that can benefit from early treatment.
• Early treatment may prevent more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated.
• In some cases, the orthodontist will be able to achieve results that may not be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing.